One of Lancashire’s oldest established firms, we have been providing legal services to the people and businesses of Lancashire and beyond since 1792.
The firm was established by the Shaw family and three generations later, partner Richard Shaw became Burnley’s first MP in 1868. Originally Southern, Jobling and Ashworth, the firm has evolved and prospered through many changes, merging with Cooper, Smith and Williams Solicitors in 1994 to form Southern Cooper and Partners and later with Currie and Sons of Burnley, followed by Nelson and Colne based Whittle and Whittaker Solicitors in 1999 to form Southerns Solicitors.
Our head office has been based at Mackenzie House, Bank Parade in Burnley since 1958 and through expansion have further offices in Burnley (town centre), Blackpool, Cheadle and an office facility London providing services throughout England and Wales. We recognise the importance of growth and development and have ensured, through the recruitment of both graduate and experienced lawyers, that we have advanced and expanded the range of services that we can offer.
The firm has endured many changes in the legal profession, always maintaining our dedication to providing a first class service which puts our clients first and our core principle of combining traditional values with a modern approach.
We continue to value our ties and contribution to the local community. Miss. Muriel Jobling was the first female president of the Burnley Law Society and who was one of the founding trustees of Pendleside Hospice. We sponsor and contribute to local charities. Please feel free to visit our Southerns and the Community page for further details of the causes that we actively support.